Thursday 19 January 2012

#LFW: the basics.


The hash tag has (prematurely) reappeared, the check and to do lists penned on various scraps of reporter's notebook. Four measly weeks - Y U COME ROUND SO FAST FASH WK? So, what am I doing resting on my lorrells when I should be typing out show requests to 100+ PRs? I come baring 'Fashion Week Survival Advice' for the virgins out there, among you.

I write this as second-timer so please don't take me as some sort of Fashion Week pro. Bloggers, buyers and press unite for my favourite season of the year -Autumn/Winter baby. Not harmoniously as you'd think though - there was outcry among bloggers, in September regarding their restricted access to the main venue. The BFC have obviously listened to this outcry as they have installed a separate bloggers lounge in Somerset House, for Feb.

This is what I wish I knew pre // what I learnt during my LFW début : 

* shy bairns get nout
    Talk to anyone and everyone - in the courtyard, press or bloggers lounge, Tom's kitchen and the queues.
    Am I telling you to queue for shows? That's right; put your best fearless face and hautest shoes on, you
    have as good chance as any of being granted the privilege. Even if it is in the photographer's pit - you'll get
    better runway shots and less of that supposed, big, fashion name's backside profile.
    'the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.'

* stock up
   A school boy error of my Fashion Week, first time.
   Business cards - avoids the "my blog is are u dressing up or.. etc"
   Food and water - fashion people do eat.
   Flat shoes - even just for the journey to and from the venues.
   Phone charger - it will inevitably die on you. Mine did day after day but I never learnt that lesson.

* you are not super(wo)man
    It's fashion; things overrun, start late, get re scheduled. Guaranteed you will not be able to make every 
    presentation and show. It grants the opportunity to find content that not every fashion editor will be 
    covering. Spend time absorbing the exhibitions, talk to the prs and designers, interview street style 
    subjects... Great journalism is all about finding a new angle. Also, few spots come better for people
    watching - soak it up.

Put your hands up if you're joining me?

I hope I have helped more than I have patronised.

See you on those cobbles in your sumptuous sorbets.

x

23 comments:

  1. Mentioned you in my favourite bloggers post :) Take a look! http://jazxo.blogspot.com/2012/01/favourite-bloggers.html xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. in love with your outfit specially love your boots wow ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn't me. My hair is 30 inches shorter.

      Delete
  3. I'm desperate to go to LFW this year, I may have to pop along and of course try this trick of queueing for shows haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great post with some very helpful tips!! Lovely :)
    I sooo wanna go to fashion week at some point in my life, and these tips will come in handy!

    Erin
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tips! Unfortunately I'm not going but I'll have to remember these for when I hopefully do attend one year :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I love your blog so so much :). I am now following. If you can check my blog and maybe join that would great. Thanks for your time.

    GodBless,
    Steven B.
    http://the-proverbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really awesome blog!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. aaah LFW, brilliant tips! i always chuck flats in my bag, but i've never queued for a show i didn't have a ticket for! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi! your blog is sooo cool! Nice post! kisses xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE YOUR BLOG, VERY VERY COOL!!FOLLOW ME ON GOOGLE FRIENDS AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO FOLLOW YOU BACK <3
    XOXO
    A_C'EST MOI
    LAMODEOUICESTMOI.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1/26/2012

    This was such a funny and interesting post, you are clearly a talented writer :) Thank you so much for being my first ever commentator (right word?!) - it means lots to me to be on the right road :)
    I've hit the follow button!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, defintiely not patronizing! I'm not doing LFW for a while, seems so intimidating!

    Pip x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha ah this post made me laugh so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the tips! I'm going this year for first time so I'm a total LFW virgin :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED this post, great tips!!

    Drea xo

    dreasjunkyard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicely written! For someone whose dream it is to become a journalist, this was a really entertaining piece to read :)

    XO Aline

    browneyedgirlaline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore you're blog!! :) I'm now following you!...Please follow my beauty blog, would appreciate it!

    Thankyou!!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. great advicee! shame im deaf and have absolutely no confidence to go to LFW. maybe eventually i ll pluck up a courage and bring my deaf friends so i wont feel left out hm mm?

    have fun, hotshot journalist!

    xo katrina
    theyoungbridgetjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely advice, thank you! I am heading to LFW next Sunday to assist a fashion photographer and I'm so nervous but I'm going to bite the bullet otherwise I know I will regret it! You have a lovely blog by the way and thank you for the comment on my blog :-)
    Ashleigh x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for commenting on my Caviar Nails post on my blog! Have been reading yours and love! X

    ReplyDelete

What ya sayin'?